Sunday, May 16, 2010

Catch Up





Tori


Melanie


Chloe

First off... Happy Birthday wishes go out to two of my very favorite actresses, Tori Spelling and Melanie Lynskey, who were born on the very same day although about 6,700 miles apart. The former right here in Los Angeles, and the later in New Zealand. Happy Birthday ladies. Live long and prosper.
As the title of this post would suggest there is a few items that need to be mentioned in order to catch up to our current state of events, and I will not necessarily relate them in chronological order because that's just the way I am.
Let's start off with yesterday morning and my interesting existence. Since there were no worthwhile movies on my basic cable service yesterday, I spent the morning watching the National Geographic Channel, which was dealing with astronomical matters. I've been doing this more and more lately as I work, and have become quite comfortable on crab boats fishing the Bering Sea (which looks like fun... if you're the captain), and logging in the Pacific Northwest. But this morning we actually went out of the solar system to explore extra-solar planets (planets that orbit stars other than our own). I visited a planet that was so close to it's sun it's year equaled just 4 1/2 days, and another, about 5 times the mass of Earth, that was completely covered with liquid water. A true Waterworld, not like that Kevin Costner thing.
Spent some time on Uranus, Pluto, and Mars as well. Let's see my lovely case manager Erin beat that (she thinks riding around on her bicycle on Venice Beach, and drinking Horny Margaritas in bars is a big deal... Ha)!
Also finished reading a new Dean Koontz novel. I swear I'm addicted to these things, and I believe I've read every freaking one of them, even though, as I was explaining to case manager Paul, pretty much all of his novels follow the same basic formula. Average looking, but good natured and smart man hooks up with gorgeous, but good natured girl to overcome the most God awful situation or circumstance that Koontz can think up for them (and he can think up some good ones. Koontz is a very sick man and seriously needs some professional help). These two are usually pit against some super secret evil government agency, or serial killer, or serial killer working for a super secret government agency, or some supernatural or scientific horror, or any combination thereof. And they always triumph.
Usually there is a child or dog involved, or both, which was the case with the novel I finished yesterday, "Relentless." I recommend it.
Much easier read than Stephen King, who provides so much character information and back story you could scream. You can literally tear out up to three quarters of his books and not miss any important plot points.
Still love you though Steve. You just like to write too much.
Now I'd like to demonstrate how it is impossible to starve, or go hungry here on Skid Row. And I need to clarify for my lovely sister Cheryl, that I have plenty of food in my box, my refrigerator is filled up as a matter of fact... this is just a demonstration.
I've mentioned this before. There are some lovely people from the Well Mission Church who come down to 6th Street and Towne every morning at around 7:30 to hand out donuts. Well, sometimes at night I like to finish the evening with a sweet snack, and a nice donut fulfills that description. So Friday and yesterday morning I went out there, stood in line for about thirty minutes reading (always bring a book), and got about a dozen donuts for my trouble (a bowl of noodle soup too on Saturdays!).
It's interesting to note that as I was waiting in line Friday, a police cruiser passed by very slowly twice, surveying the assembled donut getters thoroughly, as if they'd find Joseph Mengele, the Nazi concentration camp Angel of Death hanging out, or something.
I can't really complain about the cops though. They were able to pick up the killer of Lilly Belle Burke about 30 minutes after her murder using the same tactics.
Also yesterday, I went over to the Hippie Kitchen to see if they were giving away any bagels, as sometimes in the early mornings, after exercising, I like to eat a nice buttered bagel, just like me and my dad used to do each morning after opening up his liqueur store for business. Well by golly, they were! Got about 5 bags of them as a matter of fact, with 3 bagels in each bag. That's almost exactly like 15 bagels... almost.
But right across the street from the Hippie Kitchen on Gladys Ave., were some different nice people actually cooking pancakes and eggs, so I moseyed over there, stood in line for about 5 minutes, and got some of that! 1 pancake and about 1 1/2 eggs, but what the hell, it was good... and I didn't have to make it!
Saw my old friend Ron there as well, and told him of Robert Bray's passing. He had known Bob, probably longer than I had, and was saddened.
Speaking of which, about 10 of us residents, Erin, Paul, and case manager Demitri from the Abbey Hotel, who used to have Paul's job, attended a memorial service in Long Beach last week for Robert, May 6th (Demitri and Erin fought over who would get me to ride shotgun with them. Erin won (she's pretty nimble, and has a strong right hook). Good thing to, because if it were not for my strong quartermaster navigational skills we'd be in freaking Sacramento to this day). It was a very nice memorial, and I'm glad we were able to go.
The film "Kick Ass," was shown at Movie Day Friday afternoon. A superhero wanna be movie, with the incredible 13 year old Chloƫ Grace Moretz as Hit Girl, and who will star as the vampire in the Americanized version of "Let the Right One In." Paul and Erin really liked the movie, giggling throughout. Erin liked it so much I gave her the DVD (oops, did I say that I supplied this movie that's still in theaters. I did!) as an early birthday present.
And finally, at the first Cooking Club session with Erin back from New Jersey, we made A&W copy cat chile dogs! Erin, quite wisely, put me in charge of the chile.
And here's the freaking recipe:

For one dog you need this (please multiply the recipe for as many dogs as you want. Go ahead, do it):

1 Sabrett brand beef frankfurter - 7.5 inches long (not 7 inches. Not 8 inches. 7.5 freaking inches!)
Hot dog bun - 1
White onions - 1 tablespoon (chopped)
Mild Kraft cheddar cheese - 1/2 tablespoon (shredded)
A&W Coney Island Sauce - 3 tablespoons

That is what I made. The Coney Island Sauce. Here's the recipe:

Ground chuck - 1 lb
Tomato paste - 1 Can (6oz)
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Yellow mustard - 1 tbsp
Dried, minced onion - 1 tbsp
Chili powder - 2 tsp
Worcestershire sauce - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Celery seed - 1/2 tsp
Ground cumin - 1/2 tsp
Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Water - 1 cup


Cook the ground chuck in a pan and break into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients.
Simmer for about 30 minutes, until thickens
Boil some water in another pot and cook as many dogs as you want (providing you make enough sauce for them). Boil for about 8 to 10 minutes
Place the freaking dog on a bun and spread on 3 tablespoons of the sauce, then sprinkle with cheese (stick some ketchup on there to if you want. Go ahead, I dare you. Squeeze me!) , and eat the freaking thing!

My lovely residence manager Tianna liked the dogs so much she put me in charge of making them all over again for Memorial Day.
Hey wait a minute! I'll have to make them all by myself as Paul, Erin, and Tianna have the nerve to take freaking Memorial Day off!
Freak!

No comments:

Post a Comment