Monday, October 24, 2011

Salvation Diary, The Book


"Salvation" artist Amanda Milke
http://amandamilke.wordpress.com/


It's been a long time coming, but that is the nature of book long manuscripts.
I'm pleased to present "Salvation Diary," in it's entirety at the link below. An account of the first year I spent in recovery at the Salvation Army's Adult Rehabilitation Center, in Pasadena California, from September of 1990 to September of 1991. Many years ago. When I first arrived there I was almost immediately put to work at the front desk of the men's residence, an administrative position you could say. I remained there for four years, both as a beneficiary and an employee. From that particular vantage point I was able to see the inner workings of the center from a unique perspective, one that allowed me greater access to the stories of the many men that came through the center during that year, and from the point of view of the staff and the various counselors who worked there as well. It was my great pleasure and honor to document a little bit of all of their stories, just a little bit, and my own story as well. This book is dedicated to those men and staff, to the people who don't know it's possible to get even a day's sobriety let alone a year, and to my dear mother who appears in this account, but has since passed away.
Since I serve as both author and editor of this material, if you should happen to come across any errors in spelling, or punctuation, or grammatical context, dear readers, please... please feel free to keep this wonderful information to yourself, so I may maintain a certain state of denial.
This is a true account. The names have not been changed except for mine. I've used my pen name Joyce throughout the book. My given name is Richard Surwillo of course, but I'm having it legally changed to Joyce, so all and all, I'm rather confused.
As I said this is a real story. And like real stories, it is filled with pain, hope, sadness, triumph, and I hope always with humor. We may have been alcoholic drug addicts trying to get sober, but we always knew how to laugh with others and at ourselves.
I'm proud to present here "Salvation Diary," in two parts. Next week I'll post it again in the 55 segments that it was first presented on this blog, but all together and in chronological order, which should make it easier to read.
So give it a chance. Everyone who has seems to have liked it.

R Joyce

http://joycessalvationdiary.blogspot.com/

Oh yes, and while I have you, dear readers, in a reading frenzy so to speak, you might as well check out the screenplay for "The Day the Earth Stood Still," as well, available here:

http://tdtess.blogspot.com/

I think you'll enjoy it.

I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment