Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Benita Robledo!




Picture Legend from the top:
1. The lovely Benita Rolbedo
2. The whole person!
3. "Righty Tighty"
4. "Genius" Post Office Girl
5. Devil Lady in 2007's "Linnea" in New York
6. 2010's "Going the Distance," with supporting roles from Drew Barrymore and Christina Applegate
7. Last year's "Somewhere," in San Diego. Not somewhere in San Diego. "Somewhere" is the name of the play!
8. "She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5'9" beautiful 'n' tall
Just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all
She had it all, she had it all, she had it all
She had it all!" -Hollies 1972
9. Recent short film
10. Happy Girl in black & white
11. Crocheting and taking pictures while driving last Saturday. Naughty, naughty
12. Oh, THAT SMILE AGAIN! Please stop! Oh my gosh.. I can't take it anymore! Please... All right, I'll do whatever you want! AAAAHHHHHH!!!


It is with the greatest pleasure that I get to give a big happy birthday shout out to one of my very favorite actresses (I refuse to call actresses actors), needlework master, amateur plumber, and the Sexiest Woman of 2013, the lovely Ms Benita Robledo! (to be precise her birthday is in a few hours. Mom says I have to go to bed now)
As you recall, dear readers, we first became acquainted with Ms Robledo last April in the post entitled "It's Expensive Being A Girl," that title being a direct quote of Benita's, from her Facebook page.
She quite often comes out with these single line gems, which I find charming. Here's a few recent ones:
"I'm always in need of a paper shredder and a tape measurer. I wonder what this says about me?"
"Women that travel in heels amaze me."
"One day I'm going to be an adult and not screw up my manicure within 5 minutes of getting it."
"I was this close to starting a juice diet today, but pizza beat up my juicer."
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
Ooops, sorry... that last one was from the late Dr. Carl Sagan. How did that get in there?
Anyway, that particular post was my affirmation of her statement, at which point I continued to catalogue the many blatant ways our cherished capitalistic society ritually rips off 51% of the general population simply due to their gender.
Here's a link to that post if you're so inclined:
http://joycestake.blogspot.com/2012/04/its-expensive-being-girl.html
Her gracious reply to that post was this: "First of all thanks for the very sweet shout-out. Second of all, I couldn't agree with your piece more. Being a girl is a huge financial burden and there is no way around it. It's nice to know that at least some men realize it too. =)"
Indeed. There are some men who do realize this, and I want to take the opportunity right here and now to apologize to her, and all women, for society.
Also in that post I related how I first became aware of her and her work:
"I first became aware of Benita while working diligently at my desk, writing and doing research, as is my custom, with my television turned on, as is my custom. At the time Lowe's, the chain of retail home improvement and appliance stores, was airing their "Training" commercial ubiquitously on broadcast and cable stations. It was actually another version of the commercial linked to above, but using some of the very same scenes, and of course featured Ms. Robledo as the young wife (assuming the two were not living in sin). I'd be working away and I'd be listening to the TV rather than watching it, and I kept on hearing her say "righty tighty," each time it came on. Actually at first I didn't know what it was she was saying, because really, what does "righty tighty" mean without context? Anyway, I heard this commercial often enough that I began to take notice and watch it. "
Well through my diligent efforts I found the clip of the very same commercial that I spoke of above, right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DucgYOMq0
I had no idea that Mr Green Jeans was still alive and working, but there he is in plain sight teaching the couple how to improve their home. He still looks good for a man of... a hundred and two years.
Anyway... I of course became intrigued by this lovely young lady and sought further information concerning her career, at which point I utilized this handy website "Who's That Girl In," which can be found right here:
http://whoisthegirlin.com/2011/12/who-is-the-girl-in-lowes-training-commercial/
I can't begin to tell you how valuable this site has been to me and many others throughout the years.
After I found out her name it was relatively easy to discover other samples of her work on the web, like this commercial for our United States Postal Service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akqzv5qSfE
Excellent!
And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkTcduazT2o
I love the little dance at the end. Love it.
I visited her Facebook page discovering the "It's Expensive Being A Girl," comment, which inspired the post of the same name, and at which point she became aware of me, after which she begged me to become Facebook friends, prompting me to soon relent and comply.
Or I begged her to become Facebook friends after which I wrote the post... I can't seem to remember the exact time-line at the moment.
It's not important.
It's at this point in my series of "Happy Birthday" shout outs I usually provide some biographical information on the birthday person, describing their life and career. However Benita is dark and mysterious, and doesn't provide me with any of this much sought after info... damn it.
So, in instances such as this I'm forced to use Dr. Evil's bio from the Austin Powers films, which has noting to do with Ms Robledo at all:
Dr. Evil: The details of my life are quite inconsequential.
Therapist: Oh no, please, please, let's hear about your childhood.
Dr Evil: Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Therapist: You know, we have to stop.

Perhaps the above drastic action will prompt Benita to provide a nice comment in the comment section below, and give us some of that info, as our lovely friend Ms Jennifer Blaire recently did on her birthday. Let's cross our fingers and hope.
We do know some things about her. She was undoubtedly born at a very early age.
I found one listing where she mentioned the New York borough of Brooklyn. In what context she identifies with Brooklyn I have no idea. Was she born there? Who Knows? Many are. Does she live there now? Beats me. Does she just happen to admire the bridge? Again, I have no idea. It's a mystery, an enigma, as is she.
I know this! She speaks fluent Spanish, so we know she wasn't lip syncing in that clip above. That's good.
I happen to know her dad is an ex-Marine (the Marines being a very small part of the United States Navy, for which I was proud to serve), an attorney, and an all around hilarious guy. Or so she claims.
I also know that she holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Acting from the Conservatory of Theatre Arts & Film at SUNY Purchase.
I know from her resume that she has appeared in these plays: "Somewhere," right here in California, "Tio Pepe," "Accomplice: Hollywood," " House of Bernarda Alba," in New York, "Linnea," also in New York, and "Twelfth Night," which if memory serves has something to do with that Shakespeare guy.
She's done a lot of Television commercials of course, has appeared repeatedly on the popular program "Gossip Girl," as well as the soap "Guiding Light." How many can say that? I certainly can't.
She's been in short films (picture above) and long ones (picture above) like, "Going the Distance," and "What Happens in Vegas."
I know she's cute as hell.
I know she's a trained dancer, thoroughly versed in Ballet, Jazz, Hip-Hop (we have this in common, my specialty being Synchronized Hip-Hop), Tap, Folkorico, Flamenco, Tango, and Egyptian Lap.
I know she likes to sit on horses while they're walking around, driving while knitting, and that she has a passport... very important for making a quick getaway.
I also know that if you're a big time producer you can find out about hiring her from her very own website, here:
http://www.benitarobledo.com/
And I know that all of us can vote for her to be one of the 100 very sexiest women of next year, right here:
http://smartasses.net/2013-top-100-sexiest-women-fan-vote/
I think she's one of the sexiest women of any year! (if she were just a couple of years younger I'd be after her myself)
And I know this, that all of us here at Joyce's Take wish Benita, her family and friends, continued good health and fortune (we'll be watching), and a very happy birthday!
Happy birthday Benita!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard! Let's see if I can clear up any of these mysteries...

    First of all, you're right, I was born at a very early age. Go figure! I'm originally from Edinburg, Texas and lived there till I was 15. I then moved to Orlando, Florida where I attended a performing arts high school. Then off to New York for college (SUNY Purchase Conservatory of Acting), and now I split my time between Brooklyn and LA. Oh, and I do admire the bridge. Who doesn't?

    My dad is an attorney (again, a very funny guy) and my mom is an elementary teacher (a pretty funny lady in her own right). At the age of 2 my parents took me to the ballet and according to them I was dancing in the aisles. I begged them to sign me up for classes, and I've been performing ever since!

    I never leave home without my knitting, but I only knit while driving if I'm stuck in crazy traffic on the 405. A girl has to have some restraint!

    If I'm not knitting, I'm either eating or reading. Actually, if I could do all three things at once, I'd be in heaven. Hmmm...sounds like I need to go work on my multitasking. My taste in books is ridiculously eclectic. It ranges from David Foster Wallace to some very nerdy sci-fi/fantasy stuff! And maybe a little Ya-ya Sisterhood every few years or so.

    Well, hope that answers a few questions. Thanks again, for the birthday love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I read your new stuff on a regular basis. Your story-telling style is witty, keep up the good work! sizegenetics review https://twitter.com/sizegeneticsz

    ReplyDelete