Monday, July 26, 2010

Happy Birthday Helen!


Hot Then


Still Hot Now

Happy birthday wishes also go out today for one of my favorite actresses, Ms Ilyena Vasilievna Mironov, better known today as Dame Helen Mirrin. Her father was of Russian heritage (her grandfather on her dad's side was a Russian diplomate who got stuck in England during the 1917 Russian Revolution and stayed there... I don't blame him), and her mum English. She has been acting on stage since she was 20, and films since she was 22, and is going stronger today than ever. She won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 2007 for her performance in 2006's "The Queen," which I just saw again the other day. She was nominated one other time for Best Actress, and twice for Best Supporting Actress. She's also won 4 SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards, 4 BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Awards, 4 Emmy Awards (American television), 3 Golden Globes, and 2 Cannes Film Festival. One day she might get the hang of this business.
On the 5th of December in 2003, she was invested as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE), which is kind of a big thing in England, actually a female Knight. In 1997 she married the American Director, Taylor Hackford, who directed her in the 1985 film, "White Knights." She lives in Los Angeles sometimes, and you can even rent her house for $5000 a month! (I assume that she's not there at the time)
Anyway, I have to admit that I own a copy of one of Helen's early movies entitled, "Age of Consent," which is one of my favorite movies... I don't know why. But at that age she was like the most exquisite, sexy, perfect ideal of British (or any other nationality) beauty I've ever seen, and today at a young 65, she's still hot, and often told so (and she's about the only 65 year old woman I can say that about... except of course Ann Margaret, Shirley Jones, and Stephanie Powers... but I digress... or do I? Please excuse my boyish enthusiasm). And she and I are both atheists, which I think is pretty cool.
Anyway, all of us here at Joyce's Take wish her a very happy birthday. Happy Birthday Helen!

No comments:

Post a Comment