Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shutter


Jax


Love


Nicole Parker


Erma Bombeck


Ellen Page


People I don't know whose birthday is today


Animals


Shutters


LifeRing


Nuremberg

On this beautiful, cloudy Sunday morning here in Los Angeles I find myself filled with anxious anticipation awaiting the arrival of Jaxin, who is currently -2 days old.
My lovely niece, Keri Lynn, will be having a baby boy on Tuesday by induced labor, thus the certainty involved with Jaxin's birthday.
Jaxin, by the way, is named after the character "Jax Teller" on the television show "Sons of Anarchy," the young vice-president of the motorcycle club which bears the same name as that of the show. He is also described as a smuggler, gun runner, and a mechanic. Apparently my niece has some affinity for the "bad boy," stereotype, something she must have picked up from her mother.
Birthday congratulations are in order today for Ms Jennifer Love Hewitt, the lovely actress, singer, and speaker to the dead, who officially turns into an old woman today at 31 years (ladies above 40 are young again by the very nature of their virtue, grace, and wit... no cards and letters please), and who has the distinction (along with Arnold Schwarzenegger) of appearing in one of my world famous short stories (see, Love).
It also happens to be the birthday of the lovely comedian, Nicole Parker, who is one year older than Love, one of my heros, Erma Bombeck (83) (no longer with us I'm sad to say. "Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving."), Ellen Page (23) (who is currently selling her soul to Cisco), and many others, some I don't even know.
Okay, let's get up to date.
Last Tuesday my lovely friend Michelle sent me an Email in which she called me, and I quote: "Mr. Grumpypants."
Obviously Erin and Michelle are in cahoots, and both projecting their own failings onto me. I'm glad to say that I feel strong enough to take their abuse and will be constantly available to stand as a therapeutic tool for their convenience.
Yesterday I actually went to the AMC theater at Universal Studios City Walk to see the new Martin Scorsese film, "Shutter Island," staring Leo DeCaprio, Sir Ben Kingsley, Max von Sydow, and the lovely Michelle Williams (whose birthday isn't until September). I had read the novel by Dennis Lehane, the author of "Mystic River," and "Gone Baby Gone" (another movie I gave to lovely Erin for Christmas), both of these books made into films as well.
On the whole I believe "Mystic River," and "Gone Baby Gone," (the films) to be superior to "Shutter Island," but still it was certainly a well crafted, psychological, gritty, atmospheric thriller, possibly an homage, if you will, to Alfred Hitchcock. As I sat through the movie I wished to myself (since no one else was around) that I had not read the book before hand, as then I would have gotten more caught up in the plot as it eventually unfolded, but I must say that knowing the "trick" to the trick ending, I was able to make sure the characters acted accordingly throughout the film, and to Scorsese's credit, they did, no detectable cheating involved.
Thanks go to lovely Erin for the use of my remaining birthday Fandango Bucks to get me inside.
This morning, after a strenuous workout and yoga routine I began to see Republicans everywhere.
I found the media (at least CNN and MSNBC) falling all over themselves to report the latest from the CPAC convention as if whatever they did was of any importance. Republicans here, Republicans there, freaking Republicans everywhere, screaming out their collective, sociopathic, vindictive rantings to all who would listen. The conference, which concluded yesterday, was remarkably free from fact based information, extreme right wing propaganda being preferred to anything that resembled the truth found in the real world. Lies spewed by the likes of Mitt (Mitt) Romney, Newt (Newt) Gingrich, and Glenn (Insane) Beck were met with wild applause and cheers, facts inadvertently introduced during panel sessions were met with intolerant booing.
It was reported that attendance at CPAC was markedly up this year, and that a good half of the attendees were young people... poor misguided bastards.
This conference is supposedly a forum to solicit "conservative" ideology, not necessarily affiliated directly with the Republican Party, but if I were a Republican I'd be kind of worried (despite the assurances from Gingrich and Cheney that they will win back both houses of Congress this year, and the White House in 2012) as Ron Paul, (a Republican in name only... he's actually a libertarian, which Thomm Hartmann defines as a Republican who wants to smoke dope and get laid) won this year's Presidential Straw Poll, which as I understand it, is the conference's (conservatives) favorite for the next President. He won with 31%, with Romney and Sarah Palin (who wasn't even there) coming in second and third.
These people are so screwed up they booed their own choice when Paul was announced as the winner.
Well at least it is now over. The media needs to realize that the Republicans lost the last election and what they say doesn't matter anymore. But they kept reporting it over and over again, along with that poor bastard, Tiger Woods apology for being human. The only real news being reported this morning was the tragic story of three teenage girls being run down by a train in Florida. That made me misty.
Anyway, I had to change the channel, first to the AMC channel to watch a little "Chicago," then after Meet the Press, woman's curling at the winter Olympics. I never realized how wild this sport is (these girls are like vicious animals!).
I later attended the service at the First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles, the service presided over by Alice (lovely woman who sang the Curtis Mayfield song "People Get Ready" like an opera angel). I attended the service specifically to hear the guest speakers (two unlovely guys, Jim and Paul I think) who were representing the Southern California chapter of LifeRing, a secular support group organization, much more prevalent in the San Francisco Bay area than down here (there's only one meeting so far in Southern California, in Costa Mesa, wherever that is). These support groups seem to be very loosely structured, much less so than the SOS (Save Our Selves) groups I've attended, which are just like A.A., except they don't mention a Higher Power.
I've always said that when people come together to confront a common problem, well it sure can't hurt. And when Alice introduced the idea of using First Unitarian as a base to begin another LifeRing meeting, I volunteered my services. This made me feel good.
We shall see.
I felt so good that I walked most of the way home just for the exercise (I've got to start burning calories man. Sitting in a chair and typing all day is just not all that physically taxing).
I felt so good that I stopped thinking about the Department of NoJustice's sneaky Friday afternoon big FU to the Nuremberg trails, and all that they stood for.
But we'll discuss that a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment