Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Arizona


I said goodbye to my case manager's best friend, Julia, today.
I had just returned from the Fred Jordan Mission on Fifth and Crocker, after picking up a free food bag that the mission hands out on a weekly basis. I went to Erin's office to see what was inside the bag as it was my intention to donate most of it to the Cooking Club (Fettucini Alfredo tomorrow), as I have all the food I need in my little box. I keep it well stocked in case of emergencies.
Julia was there, along with Erin and Paul. Erin was on the phone to her father. Julia was waiting for Erin. And Paul was just sitting around waiting for something to happen.
Julia called me "Rick-a-roo." No one has ever called me that before.
Inside my bag I found a frozen whole chicken, two packages of frozen chicken legs (poor chickens), two bags of organic stuffing, three bottles of spicy ranch salad dressing, and a big can of grape juice.
"Do you like grape juice?" I asked Julia.
"To be honest, I don't," she replied.
"Neither do I, so we will give it to Erin, whether she likes it or not."
I kept one package of chicken legs, a bag of stuffing, and a bottle of salad dressing. Then I left, saying goodbye to Julia. Paul was leaving as well, and got a hug from her. I didn't get a hug. I resent this. What am I, chopped liver? Did Paul write a blog post welcoming Julia to California? No, he did not. Geez!
"Alright you two," addressing the two ladies. "Drive safely, and have a good time."
"Thanks Rick. See you on Monday," Erin said.
Erin and Julia are driving to northern Arizona as I write this. I don't know why. I wish them a safe journey, and a safe return to their respective homes.
Please don't mention this little trip to anyone, dear readers, as Erin is calling in sick for the next two days, and we don't want her bosses to know she is really in Arizona.
Erin's bosses, please don't read this blog.
My dear mother, Susie, once lived in Arizona before she passed away in 1995. My dear and lovely sister and niece live there right now. I lived there once for a year in 2000. It gets real hot there sometimes, like up to 135 degrees hot.
Erin and Julia are going to the northern part of the state which tends to be cooler due to it's higher elevation. I, and my family lived in Bullhead City ("Where the hell is Bullhead City?" bumper stickers inquire), right on the Colorado River, adjacent to Laughlin, Nevada, where there's a lot of gambling going on. Bullhead City is in what is called "The Tri-State Area," which means it's close to the border of California, Nevada, and Arizona. The closest larger city is Kingman. I once had to drive there everyday. Twice.
I worked for a ATM servicing company, and it was part of my job to drive to five or six banks in the area, empty the deposits, and give them to the banks. I had to wear a gun for this job, a Taurus 9 millimeter. I never fired it.
My partner in that job was a middle aged white lady, a right wing wacko, who made me listen to Rush Limbaugh and Dr. Laura during our daily journeys. There are a lot of right wing wackos in Arizona. I don't know why. They have to live somewhere I suppose.
I found a centipede in my kitchen on night, something I never find here in Los Angeles. They have scorpions there too. I used to see them walking around in the parking lot of the apartment building where I lived. I avoided them.
There's a lot of rocks and dirt in Arizona. It's basically a great big desert, which is one reason it gets so hot. The Colorado River was nice to have close by. To just look at it had a cooling effect.
I had two kittens while living there. Little white ones that used to run up and greet me when I got home from work. It broke my heart when I had to give them away when I moved back to Los Angeles.
I was there for the 2000 Presidential election. I remember vividly watching the whole Florida debacle closely on television, and the amazing and unprecedented decision by the Supreme Court that gave the White House to George Walker Bush, which directly resulted in his administration's failure to prevent 9/11, an unnecessary war in Iraq and the unnecessary deaths of our soldiers and innocent Iraqi's there, the squandering of the national budget, the subversion of science and the promotion of ignorance, and our current economic difficulties, among other things.
I was there when our nation began it's long eight year nightmare. Now it's time to clean up the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment